Photo contest with crypto prizes - request for testers

Hey everyone,
Here is the most recent build of the photo contest application I am building. Today I completed a stable version of the voting UI and prize winner selection. It would be quite helpful if you could take a few moments to visit the prototype, vote in the live elections, and take a screenshot of how it appears on your screen and include a message telling me what device and browser you are on.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://votegoodlooks.anvil.app

Looks pretty slick! I love the highlighted ā€œliveā€ link, and the purple color scheme.

Some minor suggestions would be:

• You may want to change the coloring for the submit button as it was difficult to read the white text against the yellow background.

• Perhaps you could make the pictures themselves clickable (put them inside a link). I instictively clicked on the photos before realizing that I had to click on the ā€œrank #1ā€ label.

• Is the plus button in the top right supposed to perform an operation? I clicked but nothing happened from what I could see.

• It may be just my lack of understanding about how it all works, but does an ā€œelectionā€ correspond to the different picture categories (Art, Mountains, etcā€¦)? Iā€™m just wondering as that wasnā€™t clear to me as a first time naive user.

• I assume that for each picture category Iā€™m supposed to pick my top 3 and submit. If that is correct, have you considered a global submit button that would submit for each category all at once? This would make it faster than the choose -> submit -> choose-> submit, ā€¦ cycle. I may be misunderstanding something here.

• Once Iā€™ve submitted, is there a way to make it obvious which categories I have already considered/submitted. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what to do, but if not, it would be nice to see a ā€œ5/10 rankings completeā€ or something of that nature.

• The vote drop down has a single item in it. Is this intended? Maybe there is a way to not show it if there is only one option.

This is really cool stuff and most of these suggestions are minor and likely due to me being a naive user.

I was a little disconcerted by the request for a login before even getting into the app. Normally thatā€™d cause me to simply close the page. Iā€™d expect the need for a login to be after Iā€™d gotten into the app, found out what it was about, and decided I wanted to take an action that required login.

After voting, thereā€™s a yellow bar with text that isnā€™t visible on my desktop with Chrome. Iā€™m assuming it says Submit, but I canā€™t tell for sure. I pressed it anyway, and got a new set of photos.

excellent feedback.

• youre right the white on yellow was horrible. We still need to finalize all the colors.

• it will be ā€˜tap to zoomā€™ which will show the image full screen. Deciding if the move is to do that with an alert or a custom html overlay over the screen.

• the plus button is a place holder.

• yes an election is the category of 6 photos.

• genius idea to make a global submit button. Noted.

• I was going to make a page that shows the elections the user has already participated in.

• hmm, on my screen the drop down has VOTE, ADMIN, ME. Admin contents are only visible to me and will be removed from dropdown soon. ME has a logout button.

thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I need to make it suitable for even the most naive user. Already taking action on these suggestions.

Great feedback, maybe instead of requiring login to view elections I will only require it to submit elections. Submit button has been changed to a more visible palette and will likely change again to be even better.

thank you!

quick update: Instead of a scrolling feed of elections on a repeating panel, it is now displaying one at a time and brings in a new one when you hit submit. It makes it feel much snappier.

2 Likes