Old vs New Apps - Different Display Behavior

I’m updating one of the first apps I made to conform to the look and feel of my more recent apps, and I’m noticing some small but odd display inconsistencies despite the fact that they have identical theme/ folders. For example, in my newest app (created August 27th, 2018), a label object placed inside a link (with no text of its own) extends the full width of the link. The same link and label copied and pasted into the oldest app (created April 9th, 2018) is displayed with a small amount of padding to either side of the label, maybe 8 pixels or so.

I believe that Anvil injects some basic HTML and CSS on top of the user-defined stuff inside the app’s assets/ folder. If I’m correct, then are older apps being rendered with older versions of the Anvil code than newer apps to maintain their original look? And if that’s the case, is it possible to update the code Anvil injects to allow an older app to use the same code that new apps do?

Thanks!

Hi Brydon,

Well spotted! If you’ve got the app checked out in Git, you can tweak this in anvil.yaml - it’s under runtime_options->version. (Caution - test your app fully after tweaking this field. By definition, incompatible changes might be hiding behind this flag! Between those dates you should be OK, though, but please do check.)

1 Like

Thanks @meredydd! I’ve seen the variable you’re referring to in anvil.yaml, but I haven’t tried the change yet. I will proceed with caution, and update here with the results when I do.

Worked great! It did cause a few other areas of the app to look weird because we were using the padding for indentation, but that’s a problem that’s easily solved. So far, it’s been a very simple and painless fix. :slight_smile:

3 Likes