Issues with older custom components?

Anyone else having issues with older custom components? I had an autofill text box component I’d written six months or so ago, and had been using. Sometime in the last couple of months (I’ve finally gotten back to the project) its status as a custom component was cleared, and Anvil stopped being able to bind events to it.

The project it was being used in still knew about those events, but generated an error when binding them.

All I had to do to fix it was to mark it as a custom component again (it remembered the events and properties it had previously had).

This wasn’t a hard fix, but it’s troublesome to me that I had to do it. I don’t want to finish writing the app and then have to worry about whether custom components from other apps are going to remain usable over the long-term.

Thanks for the report, this is a bug (moved to Bug Reports).

To help us investigate, it would be great if you could tell us:

• The App ID (the bit after the # when you have the app open in the Editor, e.g. app:XFANTYJAKBVC5VX5)
  • The name and date of the commit in the version history that the app was at when it was broken
  • The date that you saw the issue

Am I right in thinking the custom component is being used by another app as a dependency? In which case, the app ID and version for each app would be useful.

Also, if you’re able to make it broken again, a clone link for the broken version would be amazingly useful. I’d suggest:

1. Revert the app to the broken commit
  2. Make a clone of it in your account
  3. Put the original app back to the working version
  4. Share a clone link for the ‘broken copy’ with us.

Yes, the component being relied on is in another app.

The component lives in app 6RED3CWBB37ICDKS and was working after the October 5th 2018 commit. The next commit is an autosave from me on March 20th 2019 trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. I don’t know at what point between those two commits it stopped working, as I’ve been AWOL for a while from Anvil work.

The app using the component is app 3LKF732TKR4BPS7I and I’m pretty sure it was working after the November 18th 2018 commit. There are some commits after that, but I don’t recall if I had tested the particular form using the dependency during any of that work.

I’ll play with reverting to different commits (after getting a local backup of both apps, just in case) and see if I can get it back to the mismatched broken state.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to get us that info, it’ll be very helpful in finding the problem.