Increase the timeout of the server console

I am posting this as a feature request, but I have the feeling that it should be called re-request or regression.

Today I keep opening a server console, work on it for a minute or two, switch to PyCharm, go back to the console, and I get an error message without message:

I had never noticed this before. I have the feeling that something has changed, either the timeout is shorter or there is something wrong with the server console.

Regardless, please either fix what’s wrong, or increase the timeout.

Just a guess: Have you recently turned on Chrome’s new power-saving mode? It advertises that it puts browser tabs to sleep while you’re not using them. I wonder if it’s putting the Editor to sleep, causing the Server Console to time out (as far as the Anvil server is concerned, there’s no discernible difference between that and you just closing your browser window – and we don’t want to keep those server console processes hanging around running for long after that happens).

The error should be a lot more helpful than that, of course (in fact, it should probably just show up as a message in the console rather than a popup).

The day I first noticed this problem was right after a reboot and a Chrome update that mentioned the energy savings, so I thought your guess could was just on point.

But I tried to add anvil.works to the list of exceptions, and it doesn’t seem to help.

Can you think of any other way to keep it awake?

What should my expectation be about the correct behavior, without interference from energy savers or other external factors?