Could not open app message in anvil

I received a message “Could not open app. You may have been logged out – please refresh the page.” This is in the anvil editor.

It then opens a dialog to create a new form, module, or passage.

I can open and edit other apps I have written but not the one I need.

Hi, @kcanty, and welcome to the forum!

Have you ever used Git to check out and edit your app? It occurs to me that this reaction could be caused by a corrupted app that’s causing an error when Anvil tries to load it, and editing with Git is usually the way to accomplish that.

If so, the fix is fairly straightforward - revert the last commit(s) until it starts loading again, then go through the diff to work out what changed.

If not, then it looks like Anvil has managed to throw a gear somewhere…

When I select the app I’m working on, it immediately gives me the error. I can see the ‘view history’ but it is not enabled. I have saved versions of this app in the past but I can’t get to the git.

One more thing, When I select the ‘bad app’ , anvil freezes. I can’t close the app. I have to close the tab on chrome and reload anvil

One more… sorry, I misunderstood your question. No, I haven’t looked at or edited the app in git. I’ve only used the anvil editor to work on it. On further investigation, the database is gone. The tables names show up in the drop-down when I try to use them in another app, but the tables are gone.

OK, I’ll shut up. the table IS back and I can use it in another app.

Hi @kcanty,

Two things:

1. If you haven’t used Git on your app before, then this is definitely a bug in Anvil. (I’ve moved this post to Bug Reports.) So: We’re sorry, and we’re on it!

2. We’ve now found and nailed an issue that could be causing that loading error - could you try loading that app again?

Meredydd,

Thank you for your help. I still can’t open the app. I’m attaching 3 screen shots of what I’m seeing. I can rewrite my program (It will be better than the first time I wrote it anyway), but this information might be of use to you if it happens again.

Thanks again,

Kyle

(Attachment Untitled_Message.zip is missing)

Meredydd,

Here is the first screen shot showing the app I’m trying to open.

I’ll send the next two in separate emails.

I am rewriting the app so its no big deal, but maybe this will help determine what happened. Thanks again, Anvil is great!

Kyle