[Beta] Unusable diff during conflict resolution

During a merge I got this:

There is no way for me to see what the difference is about, to scroll to the right, to click on it, copy and paste on a text editor…

I abandoned the merge, then I restarted it and I noticed this:

This is still a little cryptic (it will be less cryptic when this FR will be addressed :slight_smile:), but I can at least copy the text to a text editor, replace all the commas with new lines and understand what’s going on.

After copying to a text editor I found out that something has changed on server_config/email_content/reset_password/html.

I am pretty sure I haven’t changed anything on the email service on either branches, and yet I’m told that both have changed and there is a conflict.

I ignored the conflict… whatever that means.
I have no way to check what I have done.
I just hope that I haven’t broken the app.

That looks like JSON to me. Notepad++ comes with a JSON extension that can reformat it for clarity. Other editors may be able to do the same.

Not a solution, but perhaps some help in the meantime.

I do copy to notepad++ and use ctrl+shift+alt+M to format it when it’s json or replace some characters with new line when it’s not, but I can copy only when it’s selectable.

I can copy from the diff (2nd snapshot during merge), not from the conflict resolution (1st snapshot).

Here is another unusable diff:

I don’t know what "full" or "none" means or what they refer to.

It’s scary to merge this, because I could be breaking the production app, but all I can do is merge and hope for the best.

1 Like

It’s not just .yaml diffs. For all but the most non-trivial-size documents, usable diffs nearly always require context. To display that context, in its original format, this deserves its own browser tab.

As-is, you would need to remember context, for each difference. This can work if all your changes are short, and your memory is near-perfect, and you never make mistakes… That’s not me!

1 Like

I agree, but diffs in code have a link to the line. You can click on the link to see the context (right now it doesn’t work with modules, but it will be fixed).

I agree that the experience can be improved by assigning more real estate to the diff, by adding a few lines of context above and below the changed lines, by highlighting the changed words… but the items I am listing don’t have an usability problem, they are simply useless.

They are literally unusable as mentioned in the subject, not just so difficult to use that I’m begging for an UI improvement to make my life easier.