[BETA] App log has backwards session controls

In the app log, I think the controls in the screenshot below are backwards. I’m used to the left hand side going back in time and the right hand side going forward in time.

Anyone else agree with me?

3 Likes

I had to think about this. My assumption is that left goes toward the start of the list, and right goes toward the end of the list. With the sort order being most recent items first, the left and right shown makes sense.

But it is counterintuitive, since I think in terms of earlier sessions being before later sessions, not after them, even though the list is sorted so they are.

Vertical timelines are not terribly consistent. In most charts, the value in the vertical axis (y) increases going up. But in print-oriented media, it increases going down. (It matches the time-order of reading. We read from top to bottom.) And a vertical time axis is treated both ways, too.

But in every horizontal timeline I’ve ever seen, the past is to the left, and the future is to the right.

To avoid confusing users, it’s probably best to keep it that way, even if the timeline is implicit.

So just to be clear (to me) you agree with me that it is currently the “wrong” way around?

Agreed. The way it currently is doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

All jokes aside, yes, it seems incorrect.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, the display you showed

is backwards.

1 Like