500 error adding app files [Resolved]

I’m creating an app and trying to add app files. When I click ‘add app file’, it tells me “To begin, please login with google”, and then says “anvil.works is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500”. The same thing happens if I try to enable emails from gmail.

I am still able to add app files in already existing apps that I’ve created, but not in any new ones. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Hi there,

Sorry for the cryptic error message - it seems from the logs at this end that your session is somehow getting lost between clicking login and the response coming back from Google. What browser/OS are you using, and do you see the same problem if you try in an Incognito window? Do you have any cookies blocked, or any browser extensions that could be interfering?

Any details you can share would be very helpful for finding the problem!

Hi, I’m working in google chrome, macOS 10.14.6. The same problem occurs in an Incognito window. I’m not aware of any blocked cookies. I do use the extensions uBlock origin and HTTPS everywhere, but I don’t think they should be interfering.

Thanks for your help

I agree that those extensions shouldn’t be causing any problems, but please can you confirm that the problem persists with them disabled?

Thanks!

Update: We have managed to reproduce this problem, so we’re working on a fix right now - there’s no need to do anything else on your end. Thanks for your patience.

This should now be resolved. Please let us know if you continue to see any problems!

I’m still getting the same error. Is there anything I should be doing differently to add app files? I’ve tried logging back in to anvil, deleting the google api service and adding again but still no luck

We’ve just tried another update - does this resolve the issue for you?

Yes! Thank you so much for fixing this so quickly!

I’m glad to hear that it is working again now. If it does come back, please do let us know.